Monday, December 30, 2013

BOOK: The Womanly Art of Breadtfeeding


Thank the stars I read this book! I think it is a HUGE reason why Baby Bear and I have had a successful breastfeeding relationship. Now, I do have to put out there that I was lucky I had a good supply and she had a pretty good latch from the start. But it wasn't perfect. And this book definitely helped me create an envirornment where we could work on perfecting it: from delaying newborn procedures (until after nursing was established) to testing out different nursing holds until we both were comfortable. 

I really recommend this book to any and every expectant mama, especially ones who may not have a lot of support for breastfeeding. It guides mamas through everything from latching to pumping to weaning. It also offers encouragement, knowledge, and support for struggles (because despite what some might think, it's not always easy, and doesn't always come "naturally") and situations that could make nursing difficult (like having a premie or multiples!).  

If you choose not to breastfeed, that's fine. It is not for every mama or every baby. But if you think it's because you can't, I really recommend taking a peak at this book before you rule it out. AND get yourself to a La Leche League meeting! (I promise it's not just for hippies who like to nurse their 6-year-olds!)

Pick it up on amazon: The Womanly Art of Breastfeeding



No comments:

Post a Comment