Monday, January 13, 2014

Coffee & Kombucha

Papa Bear woke up early this morning to make me breakfast and coffee. It's a good thing, too, considering Baby Bear and I didn't sleep at all last night! (Sidebar: I HATE TEETHING.) I can't seem to drink my coffee fast enough today, which is unfortunate since we use a French press. For those of you who love good coffee but aren't yet familiar with a French press - you're missing out! I admit, it'd be nice sometimes to drink 12 cups of coffee in a row without ever having to clean anything. But the rest of the time, my 1-2 cups are totally worth the extra effort. French presses don't use a filter, and we grind our beans each morning, so my coffee is always super fresh! Pick one up and try it out

After jacking myself up on caffeine, I thought it'd be a good idea to get some stuff done. As I rummaged through the closet looking for a hammer and nails, I spotted the SCOBY. I had forgotten about the trade I made last month: SCOBY for a coffee grinder. (Sidebar: I LOVE TRADES.) If you're thinking WTF is a SCOBY, you're probably not alone. A SCOBY is a kombucha starter. I know, WTF is kombucha? For me, it's refreshing amazingness in a bottle. You can read all about it - and learn how to make it - here

If you are thinking about kombucha but have never had it, I suggest starting with the store brand. My favorite is GT's. Popular flavors in our house include gingerade, mystic mango, cosmic cranberry, and gingerberry. 

Can't wait to see how this batch turns out! Have you made kombucha before? How do you do it? Do you add anything (like berries or ginger! Mmm)?

No comments:

Post a Comment