NOTE: This is a very thin sauce. (Not your typical marinara, that's for sure!)
Spicy Meat Sauce
1lb ground beef
2 cans (or 28oz) diced tomatoes
1 pint grape tomatoes
1 green onion
4 cloves minced/chopped garlic (or 1tsp dried garlic)
1 tsp dried basil
1 tsp dried oregano
1/2 tsp dried thyme
1/4 tsp dried rosemary
1/2 tsp crushed red pepper
1. Brown the beef over medium heat.
2. Add remaining ingredients to beef. Note: I keep the tomatoes whole. Also rather than chopping the green onion (which you definitely could do) I use my kitchen scissors and just cut it into pieces straight into the pan. Easier and less dishes!
3. Cover and cook until tomatoes are easily smashed - about 15-20 minutes.
4. Using the back of a spatula, smash the grape tomatoes.
5. Add salt, pepper and more red pepper to taste and serve over your favorite pasta! We did 1/2 box (about 7oz) of thin whole wheat spaghetti noodles.