Monday, January 6, 2014

GF Banana Carrot Muffins



We had a family get-together this weekend and there are a few of us with dietary restrictions. So, I was on a mission to make gluten, soy, dairy free muffins. And then I figured, why not go all the way and make them vegan! (Disclaimer: I used white sugar, which isn't always vegan...) 

If you are looking for a hearty, slightly sweet muffin, this is for you. Cupcake or bran lovers need not attempt this recipe. Also, THESE DO NOT FREEZE WELL. We found that out the hard way :( I'm sure at some point I will make a "wetter" batter, and I'm fairly certain that will result in freezable muffins. But as is, freezing dries them out.

Banana Carrot Muffins (makes 20-24)
Ingredients:
"Wet"
  • 3/4 cup unsweetened natural applesauce
  • 1/2 cup white sugar
  • 1/2 cup packed brown sugar
  • 1/2 cup neutral oil (I used vegetable oil)
  • 2 tsp pure vanilla extract
  • 2 over-ripe bananas
  • 1-2 cups chopped carrots (I used two large carrots)
"Dry"
  • 2 1/2 cups gluten free all-purpose baking flour (I used Betty Crocker GF Rice Blend)
  • 3 tbsp ground flaxseed
  • 1 tsp baking soda
  • 1/2 tsp baking powder
  • 2 tsp ground cinnamon 
  • 1/2 tsp salt
Directions:
  1. Preheat oven to 350. Line or lightly grease a muffin tin (or two).
  2. Place wet ingredients in a high-speed blender (like a Vitamix). Blend on high just until smooth (about 45-60 seconds).
  3. In a separate mixing bowl, combine dry ingredients.
  4. Add wet mixture to dry mixture and stir until large lumps of flour disappear. NOTE: batter will be thick and slightly lumpy.
  5. Fill muffin tins 3/4 full with batter (I filled mine pretty full and only got 20 muffins, but you could easily use less batter for each and make 24).
  6. Bake for about 20 minutes. (To test if they are done, insert a knife or toothpick into the center of a few muffins. If it comes out clean - no batter - then they are done.)
  7. Allow to cool for 10 minutes in the pan and then transfer to a cooling rack (or the counter, for those of you who are lazy like me!)
NOTE: these taste better after they've cooled. And even better if you wait a day! I store them in a ziplock or airtight container in the fridge.


Here are the "wet" ingredients. Bananas should be pretty brown on the outside. And check out those BEAUTIFUL carrots!





Once the wet ingredients are combined, they will be a beautiful orange "smoothie" like this:


Add them to the dry ingredients to create a THICK batter:



Fill muffin tins. Like I said, I filled mine pretty full.


Bake for 20 minutes. Wait a day, and then enjoy your beautiful, fairly healthy orange-ish breakfast! 





No comments:

Post a Comment