Tuesday, January 14, 2014

Soapless

It's no secret (or for some maybe it is) that soaps, hair products, lotions, and deodorants are all full of chemicals. Even the "organic" ones seem to have ingredients I can't pronounce. I know we absorb these chemicals through our skin. Yet, I can't seem to give up these products.  

But today, as I looked at my grimy hair ( that was washed YESTERDAY) and felt my flaky, cracked skin, I decided that's it - time to take the plunge. So, for the next MONTH I will be following a no shampoo regime, will not use soap in the shower, and will only use homemade deodorant. Here's my method:

Hair:
3 times a week (Monday, Wednesday, and Friday) I will do a baking soda and apple cider vinegar wash. I will use coconut oil to condition as needed.
Method: combine 1 TB baking soda with 1 cup water. Massage into scalp, paying particular attention to the crown and part line, for 60 seconds. Rinse out. Then combine 2 TB apple cider vinegar and 1-2 cups water. Put on the ends of hair for 60 seconds. Rinse out.

Face:
Each morning and night, I will do an oil cleanse. Once a week I will do a salt and oil exfoliation.
Method: combine equal parts olive oil and coconut oil. Massage into face for 60 seconds or more (don't skimp on time or the dirt can't dissolve!). Run a wash cloth under hot water and drape over face for 60 seconds (this opens the pores). Rub/wash off. Splash face with cold water. For salt exfoliation: same process as  the cleanse, but combine sea salt with the oil mixture.

Body:
During showers, I will use a wash cloth and/or loofa to scrub my body. No soap, just water. Once a week I will do a salt and oil exfoliation. 

Deodorant:
I will only use homemade coconut oil deodorant.
Method: combine 1/3 cup coconut oil, 1/4 cup baking soda, 1/4 cup cornstarch and a few drops of essential oil (I'm using tea tree and lavender). You can store in a jar or melt the mixture and pour into an old deodorant applicator and pop in fridge/freezer until it firms back up.

I've been told it can take 2+ weeks for your body to rid itself of toxins and get back to its natural balance. Luckily, I have hair binders and hats! 

Have you ever done no shampoo? No soap? Homemade deodorant? What were your experiences?

No comments:

Post a Comment